Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Finding Inspiration When You're in a Rut


Sometimes when I go to sit down and write a post, I stare at a blank screen until my eyes go blurry and never get that magical aha moment.  Whether it's because I have nothing to say about the topic or I just don't know what to write about in general, I never like to force myself to hit that publish button if it's not something I'm completely happy with.  I've had ups and downs since starting this blog, from not caring that I haven't posted in over a week to ideas oozing out of my pores faster than I can keep up.  I'm currently on one of those peaks and I am so excited for the month to come!  Today I wanted to share my tips for finding inspiration to blog when you may be stuck in a rut.


1. Take a break.  It's ok to get a little off schedule with your regular posting routine.  This is something that's really tough for me because if it's in my planner, then by gosh I am going to write a post!  But what I've learned is that it is more important to write authentic content than something forced.


2. Look to what's happening in your life right now.  I get so many ideas from things I'm going through or fun experiences I want to share.  And I find that my voice comes so much more naturally when I'm writing about life, almost like I'm just talking to a friend.


3. Remember why you started.  For me, I started this blog as a creative outlet to share all things beauty, fashion, and life that I love when I'm not crunching numbers as an accountant.  Whenever I find myself fishing for inspiration, I just remember that and then the creative juices start flowing again!


4. Try something new.  I hadn't really planned on having a heavy focus on fashion when I first wanted to blog.  In fact, I considered myself much more of a beauty junkie than fashion junkie.  But then Chelcey wanted to get back into photography, and thus a beautiful venture was born.  Every week when we go out to take photos, I find myself already looking ahead to the next shoot and what fun outfits and ideas I can put together.  Moral of the story, don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and do something different!


5. Keep a notebook nearby.  I carry a small notebook with me every day so that if I have one of those light bulb moments of inspiration, I'll be able to jot it down and not forget about it.  You really never know when an idea may just suddenly pop into your head.  If your brain works anything like mine, some crazy connections can be made between every day experiences and post ideas.


What are some of your tips for finding inspiration to blog?


xoxo,
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Time and Turquoise © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat