Monday, January 19, 2015

The Dirt on Dry Shampoo

Dry shampoo is a product that has really catapulted into the forefront of the beauty world recently.  It seems like every hair care brand offers one, and with so many to choose from, it can be a bit overwhelming.  The concept itself is pretty life-changing, at least in my book.  Anything that can extend the time between hair washes and save endless amounts of time is going to be a staple in my routine.  The hard part is finding one that you like and that works.  I've tried several different brands, with one in particular that I always find myself going back to.  Here's a little dirt on all of the dry shampoos I've used - pun definitely intended.

Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo
This dry shampoo does exactly what it is supposed to do with as little product as possible.  I could apply this on about day 3 and be good for another 3 days without needing to pile on more product day after day.  Being a high end brand, it's pricier than other options out there but since a little goes a long way it could be worth it if you want a hassle-free routine most mornings.  The only downside for me was the smell, which is very strong and almost perfume-y.  I am very sensitive to certain scents and anything too musky tends to irritate my throat.  If that isn't a problem for you, this is a solid choice.

Not Your Mother's Clean Freak Dry Shampoo
This brand is relatively new to me in the last year or so, and now that they sell it at Target and it's more accessible, I've been trying out more of their products.  The names are really fun and quirky, which I love.  I would actually consider this one to be my second favorite dry shampoo that I've tried.  Whereas the Drybar option is very strongly scented, I don't notice any scent whatsoever with the Clean Freak.  That can be good or bad, depending on if you want a nice scent to mask any potential dirty hair smell.  It leaves no white residue in your hair, though I do find that I need to reapply this more than once to prolong the life of my blowout.  All in all, this is an excellent affordable option.

Lush No Drought Dry Shampoo 
I will be completely honest, I wasn't really a fan of this product.  I didn't like the application process, having to carefully sprinkle the dry shampoo onto your roots and hope that a huge cloud of powder didn't bust out of the bottle.  It also didn't really seem to do much for absorbing oil and making my hair look refreshed.  It was pretty pricey, though you do receive a very generous amount of product.  As all Lush products, there is an expiration date to compete with, and it almost seemed like you got too much dry shampoo to be able to realistically use in the allotted time.  I typically love Lush products and their handmade philosophy, but this one just didn't do the trick.

Dove Refresh + Care Invigorating Dry Shampoo 
If I had to pick my favorite dry shampoo, this would be it.  It's at an affordable price point, smells nice without being overbearing, the results last, and it doesn't look powdery.  Basically, if you rolled all of the things I like about the others into one and cut out the things I don't, this is what you get.  I wouldn't give it holy grail status just yet, since I'm still trying new dry shampoos here and there, but I will say that I always find myself coming back to Dove.

Batiste Hint of Color Dry Shampoo
I really like and appreciate what Batiste was trying to do here, which is create a dry shampoo that matches your hair color to eliminate the possibility of that Marie Antoinette powdery look.  Unfortunately it doesn't really work for me since I like to get as many days out of one wash as possible.  I'm talking brown residue all over your pillow case - not very pretty.  I have a bad habit of touching my hair around my face, especially when my bangs are longer and I have to constantly push them out of the way, and this would always end up all over my hands at the most inconvenient times.  If you're someone who isn't quite as extreme with the amount of time between washes and would only be using this on your last hair day, then this could potentially work fine.  It just doesn't work for my lifestyle.

Now that you have a little dirt on these dry shampoos, I hope you'll be able to find one that you love!  And I'd love to know if there are any others that are your favorites that I haven't tried.  You can never have too much dry shampoo.

xoxo,
Amanda   

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Time and Turquoise © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat