Thursday, August 21, 2014

How to Deal




After reading Chelcey's post about when things don't go according to plan, it really hit home.  I am not a roll-with-the-punches or go-with-the-flow kind of girl.  I'm the girl who asks what time we are meeting up to hang out tomorrow and secretly freaks out when you say "we'll figure it out."  I like need to have things planned, preferably so I can jot it down in my Day Designer.  Ok, that may be a bit exaggerated, but you get my point.  I have my spontaneous moments, but for the most part I keep things nice and organized. 


So when I was involved in a car wreck this past weekend, throwing off my weekend plans, you can imagine it was a little difficult for me to handle.  I kept it together the night of the accident, but the next morning I had a minor breakdown.  Blame it on hormones (thank you, mother nature) or the fact that I had just been dealing with some other apartment problems (which had just been fixed), but in that moment I was wondering "why me?"


I don't want to come across as dramatic, because I know I have a lot to be thankful for - that no one was hurt, that I am living in a brand new apartment, that I have a great job and am an independent woman - but dealing with life's blows is something I admit I need to work on.  I'm going to challenge myself to handle these situations better in the future.  I realize that life is not perfect and things will not always happen as I want, so I have to be able to deal with it.  First up with this will be dealing with the aftermath of the accident, waiting to hear what will happen with my car.  If I end up having to get a new one, then I'll make it work and move on from this with a positive outlook.


But it doesn't have to always be the big things either.  I'm terrible about dwelling on the little things that can get me down until something else comes along to take my mind off of it (ahem, salad dressing on my shirt).  Seriously, what a waste of my time and energy to put so much into these thoughts that just ruin my mood. 


So, thank you Chelcey for helping me see the bigger picture.  And I challenge you to do the same, don't sweat the small (or big) stuff.


xoxo,
Amanda  

1 comment:

 
Time and Turquoise © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat