Thursday, May 8, 2014

Rediscovering Old Favorites - My Current Makeup Routine


No-buy month is going strong.  Chelcey and I haven't even stepped foot in Target or a mall in over a week - quite the accomplishment.  I promise, we aren't addicted or anything though.  It's just the first thing we think to do when we hang out.  My whole perspective on spending and saving money has really changed since I moved into my own place a couple years ago, but we can dive into that some other time.  Today, I wanted to share my current makeup routine, since I've brought out some old favorites that hadn't gotten any love in a while.


After I wash my face and apply moisturizer, I put on Clinique Superprimer Face Primer (the formula that color corrects redness) and let it sink in while I make my coffee.  For foundation, I actually like to mix a couple of different products - Becca Ultimate Coverage Complexion Creme and Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Foundation.  I do this partly because I am very fair and have a hard time finding a perfect shade match, and partly because I have not found a holy grail formula that I absolutely love.  I finish my base by concealing under my eyes with the Maybelline Dream Touch Lumi concealer.  Because the foundation mixture I use has such full coverage, I rarely use extra concealer on blemishes.  If you want the extra coverage though, I recommend the Pro Longwear concealer from MAC.


To set the foundation in place, I love Urban Decay's All Nighter.  My skin has actually been pretty dry recently, and I can still use this without worrying about it drying my skin out even more.  I put on my makeup around 7:30 every morning before work, and when I get home 9-10 hours later it still looks just as fresh and not completely worn off of my face.  Next I dust a little bit of Rimmel Stay Matte powder on my face, followed by Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powder in Radiant Light to give my skin some life.  I love this stuff because it's just the right amount of bronze for my fair complexion.  For a pop of color on the cheeks, I've been loving Hourglass Ambient Blush in Luminous Flush.  I contour my nose ever so slightly with Nars Laguna Bronzer and my face is good to go.  This little bronzer guy is one of those old favorites - I purchased it a couple of years ago in a holiday set and somehow it was buried in the bottom of my drawer among blushes and powders and highlighters - oh my!




Now with the eyes, we are really getting into old favorites.  I don't know if anything can top the Naked Palette in that category.  This was one of my first major beauty splurges when I first started getting into makeup several years ago.  It's treated me well through the years, and I'm happy to be using it again.  Can you tell which shades are my favorite?  

I like to prime my eyelids first, and lately I have been using the Lorac Eye Primer, another little guy that had gotten lost among other goodies.  From the Naked palette, I apply Sin all over the lid, Toasted in the crease, and Virgin as a highlight.  I'm not usually one for eyeliner, but when I do wear it I reach for the L'Oreal Lineur Intense.  I just apply a thin line on the outer part of my upper lash line, stopping right before the pupil.  I think I always shied away from liner because I would apply too much, and it made my eyes look smaller and closed off.  By only lining the outer edge, it actually creates the illusion of your eyes being wider and the lashes fuller, which is very flattering.  

My go-to mascara at the moment is YSL Babydoll.  I usually don't go for high-end mascaras because there are so many affordable options at the drugstore, but I splurged recently on this baby and I love it!  The last thing I do is fill in my brows with Benefit Brow Zing.  Again, I never used to bother with this step until I tried it once and saw what a difference it really makes.  If I only had time in the morning for a couple of steps and not this whole routine, I would definitely apply mascara and fill in my brows.  I think those two things have the most impact on making you look polished and put together in the least amount of time.

To complete the look, I use Bite Beauty Lipstick in Fig.  This stuff is ahh-maz-ing.  It's not a true nude, but it's not crazy bright pink either.  It's just perfect for everyday wear, especially since I work in an office environment.  The color lasts all morning until it's time for lunch.  Then I can just re-apply once more in the afternoon and I don't have to give it a second thought.  Forgive me for forgetting to take a picture of it!




All in all, this routine takes me about 20-25 minutes in the morning.  That may seem like a lot to some people, but for me I love makeup as a form of self-expression so it's totally worth it.  And trust me, that's nothing compared to the weekends when I know I'm not under a time crunch to get out the door.

What is your makeup routine like?  Have you rediscovered any new products you had forgotten about?

xoxo,
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. My make-up routine is trying to keep my eyeliner straight on my eyelid while Sean is driving over potholes on the interstate on the way into work ... If I even decide to put make-up on that day. Such. A. Struggle. One thing I never skip though is my under eye concealer (Clinique Even Better) and a drugstore brand cheek stain. If I don't do these two things then people start to ask me if I'm feeling alright ... :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Time and Turquoise © 2013.

Design by The Blog Boat